STEAM learning method is perfect for raising children in the midst of the rapid development of the digital era today
Getting started with the traditional education that comes to do everything somehow has pedagogical validity. Until the end of the last century in our accidental world, education has been inevitably transformed by the inclusion of new technologies.
At present, the fourth technological revolution is taking place in the world: rapid information flows, high-tech innovations and developments transform all spheres of our life. The demands of society and the interests of the individual are changing.
The evolving world is now integrated a new learning approach STEAM in which academic science and technology concepts are studied in the context of real life. The goal of this approach is to incorporate the creative and critical use of educational robotics to maintain the interest of students in the scientific and technical industry. Thus sustainable links between the school, society, work and the whole world are formed.
STEAM is an acronym in English that is used to refer Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics or: natural sciences, technology, engineering, creativity, mathematics. In a word, the disciplines that becomes the most in demand in the modern world. Not surprisingly, today the development of STEAM is one of the main trends in world education.
STEAM education is based on the application of an interdisciplinary and applied approach, as well as on the integration of all five disciplines into a single training scheme. In the STEAM education system, the children are taught a series of critical skills for the use of new technologies that will emerge and depend on, because they will help build and maintain high-quality communities and improve the lives of all the citizens. This is the reason the implementing or improving STEAM education now becomes a primary objective in developing countries, who want to be competitive or maintain their competitiveness.
Importance Of STEAM Education
Thinking about the future and even today there are problems with the deterioration of the quality of education in the field of exact sciences, the motivation of students, the quantity, and quality of teachers are global. This is a market problem because employers are willing to pay specialists well. This is the reason now STEAM education becomes a priority in countries where high-tech production is developing.
All the developing countries now stepping forward to STEAM because:
- The STEAM approach in education provides students opportunities to make sense of their performance and take charge of their learning by knowing how things work, solving real-world problems through experimental learning projects.
- STEAM education leads them to a high level of thinking, discovering innovative solutions and making connections between school, community and work with the help of the academic areas of science, engineering, and interconnected mathematics and using technology as the tool to integrate them.
- In STEAM, students are provided with the best teaching practices, strategies and learning environment where they can experiment, speak, debate, discover, design, create and build to the best of their skills.
- The great difference of the traditional teaching of science and mathematics from STEAM-education is: It implies a mixed learning environment and shows students how a scientific method can be applied to everyday life.
- STEAM is one of the directions for the implementation of project and training and research activities in the school, and outside the school.
- STEAM learning incorporates with group activities, laboratory investigations, and projects, allowing students to build up the vital skills of the 21st century such as innovation, collaboration, problem-solving, and independence to help ensure the success in the workplace.
- To improve the standards of living, it allows developing countries to reduce their dependence on the so-called first world and increase their competitiveness worldwide.
STEAM in Pakistan
The importance of STEAM as we came to know is that it has now become the part of the educational system but in developing countries. What about Pakistan?
Parents in Pakistan like other countries now become sensitive to changing times and follow the development of technology in order to guide children to use technology wisely and precisely, but the ease of getting information from all sources and technological sophistication of the longer makes the modern society become dependent.
Parents should move towards the advanced version of education incorporating STEAM in it, but unfortunately, Pakistan is developing itself to come on the road with the other developing countries. Though we have designed latest curriculums, we still lack this STEAM approach in our education system.
At Kinder Academy we want to promote a positive perception of science, technology and innovation amongst young ones. We have introduced STEAM and project-based learning to train students under special technological laboratory and educational equipment; such as 3D printers, visualization tools and other equipment to study robotics, programming, designing and programming their own robots. Students are continually taught the process of designing and engineering, in addition to the scientific process. In essence, children are taught to try and redesign in order to get the best results. Also, we work in a network collaborating with teachers, counselors, educational centers and companies.